Monday, February 2, 2015

5 Practices to Overcoming Illness, disease, and injury.





A few years ago I felt successful, fit, plus I was in a great relationship, the world was my oyster yet something was off…

I began having trouble sleeping at night, yet during the day I had no problem falling asleep during my afternoon meetings.  A friend says to me, “Sean, what is wrong with you?”

“What do you mean?”  I said.

“Your not the same high energy person you used to be.” he replied.

Later that week I Googled my symptoms;

Extreme Thirst
Low energy
Weight Loss
Frequent Urination
Blurred Vision

GOOGLE: Diabetes…

WHAT?? 

I went to the Doctor to confirm my greatest fear.  "Yes, Type 1 Diabetes."

“Your body no longer produces insulin so you are going to have to inject insulin once in the morning when you wake and before you go to bed and each time you eat.”  Dr. says.   

“WHAT??  Inject…” Sounds scary, I thought.

 The Dr. replies, “Its okay many people have Diabetes it is easily treated today.  It doesn’t have to affect your life."

Honestly I was blown away…  I thought "How could this happen to me?  I am a healthy person.  What are others going to think of me?"

I knew I could not get stuck a place of victim I had to quickly move through this.   I called my office and “I am taking a week off to have my pity party and then I will be over it!”

Dale Carnegie says to assume the worst-case scenario and ask yourself how you would deal with it.   So I began my research; Diabetes what I learned is that 1 in 4 Americans will have diabetes in their lifetime.  Besides potential amputation of limbs and loss of eyesight it is the seventh highest cause of death in America behind the #1 killer heart disease.  And the most common cause of death for a diabetic is… you guessed it…heart disease.    

To avoid having these heath issues one must eat foods low in carbohydrates, fat, and exercise.  I told myself as far as diseases go; "I got the best one! The result is I will be healthier!"  (1)

Even though, I didn’t want my life to change.  I tried to keep things normal as possible.  Although, managing diabetes was a continuous challenge.  I was following the traditional diabetic diet as prescribed.  I still kept experiencing cycles between high blood sugar then back to extreme lows.  It is like riding a roller coaster.

The most difficult part about managing your blood glucose levels is that you have to anticipate (“guess”) how the meal you are going to eat will affect your blood glucose level.  You then have to take insulin to counter the affects.  The challenge is if you take too much insulin or don’t eat enough carbohydrates your blood sugar crashes to dangerously low levels and you can loose consciousness.

At one point I was so disoriented I got lost in a Wal-Mart.  Fortunately my quick thinking children gave me some juice to bring my blood sugar back to normal.  It is terrifying not knowing where, or when, anytime I could just space out.

Driving between giving two presentations, about gratitude, in central California, to a group of REALTORS I felt the urge to call my father, since he lived only an hour away from where I was presenting.  I didn’t grow up with my father; actually I didn’t even develop a relationship with him until I was 21 years of age. Additionally, I hadn’t spoken to him for nearly a year.  Diabetes was common in our family.  His sister (my aunt) died of diabetes at the young age of 33.  I visited him the following weekend we sat together for hours watching documentaries and having deep discussions about the affects of nutrition on health. 

After I left, I wondered to myself, “Why after a year would he want to spend the entire week with me just watching videos on health.”  I realized right at that moment; it was his way of showing his love.  (2)

After our weekend together I was empowered!  I felt, if I created a healthy environment in my body then my body would heal itself!  I began a fruit and vegetable juice diet.  For the next several weeks I would only eat, or rather drink, my way to a cure! (3)

After 16 weeks of drinking juices my blood glucose levels were totally under control.  In fact I could last nearly three days without needing any insulin injections at all!  My Doctor couldn’t believe it.   But… it wasn’t all a success.  No longer eating any processed foods, meat, cheese, starches, my mind began to lie to me.  Occasionally I would have binge cravings for salts and fats.  The cravings got so bad my mind would tell me “You can eat french fries they are just vegetables.”  

Then I found myself secretly eating a large bag of five guys french fries to the point of nausea.  [As you may know a large at five guys is a medium brown shopping bag of fries!] I also secretly felt anger towards other people for being able to eat so carelessly… wait not carelessly… absent-mindedly.  Lastly, I was suffering from serious lack of focus and energy.  (4)

While presenting to a large group in Nebraska a woman came to me and asked if I had ever heard of Dr. Shwarzbein.  Schwarzbein is an endocrinologist that studied the effects of nutrition on heath specifically with diabetics.  Dr. Schwarzbein understood the challenges I was having. (2) In fact she specialized with exactly what I was trying to accomplish.  Managing my diabetes through nutrition and explaining why without fats and oils in your diet your brain will suffer functionality.  Healthy fats and oils enable the connections between neurons to work effectively. (5)

Today with the guidance of a mentor with specialized knowledge I am able to manage my diabetes with diet and only one injection of insulin each day.  By balancing my meals with plant fibers, protein, and healthy fats.  This diet curbs my cravings, while maintaining low glucose levels, and best of all my brain is sharp and focused!

We all go through challenges in life.  Some are major, the loss of a loved one, disease, and injury.  Some are less dramatic yet equally as painful.  I share this story with you to illustrate the beliefs one must have to overcome pain, obstacles, that life is sure to send our way.  These five beliefs guide me through my ongoing challenge of managing my illness of Diabetes.

                                                         5 Beliefs
          1.     Quickly, move through the thoughts of being a victim; shift quickly into taking responsibility.
          2.     Seek guidance fast and often; with someone that has been there before.
          3.     Follow a plan; even if it is not the right one.
          4.     Be prepared to fail; failure is part of the process.
          5.     Make corrections often; if the results are not desirable, adjust the plan.


Information on Dr. Schwarzbein; www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com

Live Fully,

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment