Monday, February 16, 2015

5 Quotes to Find Your Purpose




Many people today are burdened with the feeling of lack of passion.  The feeling of not having a purpose, or a purpose that is not worthy enough to be considered meaningful by others.

Many of us are raised in a belief that in order to become whoever we were “meant to be” or to become “worthy” we must achieve something unique or special.   This sets up the If - Then Trap.  This trap leaves us in emotional limbo.  Feeling like we are doing just enough to “get by” but nothing worthy or impactful to society. Americans are especially susceptible to this due to the abundance of basic needs. We are no longer struggling for survival so our mind’s attentions are left to solve what feel like meaningless problems.  Viktor Frankl called this the “Existential Vacuum”.  Leaving us with the feeling emptiness in life’s purpose.  To work out of the “Existential Vacuum” we must diagnose and unwind the If – Then Trap.





Steps to Diagnose and Unwind the If - Then Trap

Identify the If - Then Trap.

1.     If I have A, then I will do Y, and If I do or have Y then I will be worthy.” 
2.     “Then when I reached A it didn’t fulfill me so now I must reach B before Y.”
3.     “I cannot reach B because F is stopping me so I will never have Y.  So I if can never have Y (What makes me feel worthy) so why should I even try?”

Diagnose the If - Then Trap.

1.     “If I made $100,000 a year then I would take some of the money and donate it to the charity that helped me when I was in need and that would make me feel great!”
2.     “Then when I made $100,000 my bills grew faster than I expected. So now I have to make $200,000 before I can donate to my charity.”
3.     “I cannot reach $200,000 a year because I am already too busy and my spouse doesn’t support my goals. Therefore I can never donate to my charity, so I am not going to even try.”

Unwind the If - Then Trap.

1st             Acknowledge Your Worth. 
2nd            Eliminate the If- Then Trap.
3rd             Write Your New Statement.

New Statement:  “I am worthy and I choose to donate to my charity because they helped me and it feels good.”




5 Quotes to Find Your Purpose


1. “People who feel meaningless of their lives lack awareness of a meaning worth living for.  They are haunted by their experience of their inner emptiness, a void within themselves, an existential vacuum. …Man needs the call of a potential meaning waiting to be fulfilled by him…

…Don’t aim at success, the more you aim at it the more you will miss it.  Success cannot be pursued, it must ensue and it only does as an unintended side effect of ones personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as a bi-product to the surrender to a person other than oneself.  Happiness must happen and the same holds for success you have to let it happen by not caring about it.  Listen to what your conscious commands you to do and carry it out to the best of your knowledge.  Then you will live to see, in the long run… in the long run… I say! Success will follow you precisely because you had forgotten to think about it.”                     --Viktor Frankl



2. “He who has a why can bear any how” By having a life purpose to help others they can bear the how.  
                                                                                                                                                       --Friedrich Nietzsche




3. “You have an inner voice.   That voice brought you here to change.  That voice is your desire, your message, your meaning.  It is your fears that hold you back.  Prior experiences of failure, frustrations, and insecurities remind you of those fears.  Let them go.  Trust your inner voice that calls you to take action to once again believe in yourself.”  
                                                                                                                                                                 --Sean Moudry



4. “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”                   --Mariam Williamson



5. “Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it”
                                                                                                                                                --Gautama Buddha



 By: Sean Moudry

No comments:

Post a Comment